Sunday, October 17, 2010

NaNoWriMo

This year, I am once again going to try NaNoWriMo. I've made it twice I think and attempted it 3 times so far. Last year I didn't make it because of how sick I was. Not a fun time.

Anyway.

NAnO! I'm excited :3 I just wish November weren't so far away. Well, at least as far as that's concerned. As far as school work... November can just stay as far away from me as possible XD I have 2 major projects and a presentation for work and I have to write a chapter for a book we're presenting to the Dean of the Education Department. Stressful! Plus whatever other assignments and exams my professors feel like throwing at me haha. So yeah.

This year, I'm very set in my story. Most of the pieces are in place, I just have to start playing. Ironic... I hate playing the waiting game and yet that's what I'm doing.

This year, my book is called "Humanoid City." I'm not gonna say too much about it right now because I have no "off" button when it comes to my books. =P

Here's the info I have on my Nano page:

"Humanoid City" is a set of short stories all taking place in the same city on the Border Lands. There are different neighborhoods and many different lives, each with their own stories to tell. Each story is about the struggle between humans, androids, and humanoids (a mixture of the two). Everyone is different, and that's what makes them human whether they look like it or not.

Story Titles (subject to change and in no particular order):

1. The Little Tailor
2. Lovers Scorned
3. Junkyard
4. Half and Never Whole
5. Hearth and Home
6. Dancer in the Street
7. Curiosity
8. Serenity / 1000 Words / Simon Says (Nothing)
9. Asylum
10. The Creator

Yay!

I can't say too much about it because I don't want to be in danger of "self publishing" because then I can't go many places with my finished product.

If anyone out there is also doing Nano, please add me as a Writing Buddy! I love sharing this experience with other people.

For those of you that don't have ANY idea what I'm talking about, here's the idea:

NaNoWriMo stands for Nation Novel Writing Month. In the month of November, we are challenged to write 50,000 words of a novel that we start on Nov. 1st and no sooner. It's crazy but it's SO much fun. It gives me all the motivation I need to start writing again.

I find that, when I have too much to do, I somehow get it all done. But when I don't have very much I tend to get NOTHING done. Weird, isn't it?

Anyway. I'm just excited :3

A lot of my inspiration comes from Tokio Hotel, to be honest. It's a confusing story, but I came up with the idea when I was trying to remember song lyrics of theirs from a song that was stuck in my head. Then I remembered that the name of their tour for their newest CD (Humanoid) was called "Humanoid City." It really has nothing to do with them other than that, but the name inspired me, as does their music on occasion.

I also find that several pictures of theirs or those made by their fans give me ideas about the city itself and the way I think the people in it would look.

Here are some pictures that inspire me (since I haven't put up any pictures in a while):

Disclaimer: These are not my photos. They are pictures I found on the internet. I don't know where many of them came from since I simply did a Google Image Search.

This one is one of my favorites. The man here looks very much unreal and mechanical... until you look at his face. Then he doesn't seem so "inhuman" after all.

This one is just beautifully shot. The gears are well placed and the colors are soft and cold at the same time. I chose this one because her tears are oily and obviously inhuman when, apart from the tiny gears on her cheek, she looks completely human.

I like this one because it's simple. The unpolished feel of it is what makes it beautiful. The red of his heart is the only color he has, but I think it's the only color he needs.

This is my favorite. I don't know if it's "official" or not, but I don't care. I love many things about this. The colors and lighting are very warm except on his mechanical parts. His skin and his shirt look like they've absorbed the light, but his inner machine merely reflects it and doesn't take it in. To me, it looks like he's checking to make sure no one can see him. It also illustrates for me that "beauty is skin deep." When you tear away his skin, he's a different kind of beautiful. One that is raw and exposed and deep and has nothing at all to do with the face above. Even the skin on his arm is cut away a little. It's beautiful to me.

So anyway! That's all I have for now. I'm going to start compiling music for this project soon. Yay! =D I'll post song lists and things later when I can. I can't post music here as far as I know, but I can at least post song names and maybe YouTube links or something.

A lot of the music I'm going to use will probably be German. As stated, that's mainly what I listen to. But we'll see. I'm going to go through all my music archives and not just the stuff on my hard drive right now.

Wish me luck on my crazy endeavor! =D I'm excited haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment