Tuesday, October 19, 2010

NaNoWriMo - part 3 (self publishing and the like)

Well. The exam was extremely easy. I think everyone finished in under 30 minutes. And after my interview today, I'll be done with that class! Yay! It was starting to get to me. I love being done with block classes haha.

Right now I am continuing to procrastinate doing my other homework. Reading 20-some pages of analyzing art is not my cup of tea, so I'm putting it off. Haven't even made it through 2 pages and am already bored out of my mind. At least it's in English though... If it were in French, I'd never make it haha. I still have 3 hours to get it done though. There are only 2 questions this time, so that's not too bad.

French Civ exam #3 opens tomorrow. Blech. Not fun. At least my project proposal is done, printed, and ready to go. I'm way behind on my Isaiah project, but it's alright. Hopefully I'll get to work on that some time this week. That and maybe get in SOME hours for work. I didn't get in any last week. Boo!

I really want it to be November... Nano will make me incredibly happy and will give me something fun to do.

As for the book as a whole...

I really want to try to tie in some of the stories to one another and give it some more continuity, since I'm lacking a little in that department. I mean, a series of short stories is great, especially because they have a common theme, but tying them together makes it seem more polished and thought out. At least I think it does.

So far all I have is a connection to "Junkyard" and "The Creator." I want Jim (the creator himself) to hear about the Junkyard incident and then to go and try to fix the Androids that were killed in the events preceding it. I don't know if I'll come out and say it upright, but it will at the very least be strongly implied.

I really want to post things about my book online here, but I have 2 issues with doing so.
1. Idea theft.
I'm not too worried about that because I don't think many of my ideas make sense to other people right now. Lots of them are still in picture form and have very little solidified as of yet. Plus I don't think many people are that desperate. If someone could do something with just my basic ideas, they'd be creative enough to come up with their own story and therefore wouldn't need mine.
The second is more important.
2. "Self publishing"
I always want to leave the option open to getting my work published some day and if you "self publish" it's MUCH harder to achieve this. Since this book can be however long or short I choose it to be, based on the number of stories I write, it wouldn't be a particularly difficult one to conceive of getting published one day. So yeah... I don't want to run the risk of not being able to do that because I posted too much of it on the nets.

Rawr. Silly publishing companies.

I noticed that, since I started writing about Nanowrimo, my audience has tripled! Thanks everyone for reading my blog :) I really appreciate it. I'd really love to hear from my readers. As of yet, my blog has 0 comments and it makes me a little sad. So if you have a second, leave a comment please. I'd love to hear from you!

Maybe once I finish my French homework (and maybe read for Isaiah as well haha) I'll update with more stuff about my book. I need to develop several of my characters a LOT more. I have general ideas for stories and I know HOW my characters will respond to their situations, but I have very little idea about the WHY of it all. It seems important to me.

Anyway. I'm REALLY stalling. I need to get back to work.

Only 2 more months of this semester!! It's kind of hard to believe it's already half over. =3 Oh how time flies.

Bye friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment