Sunday, September 12, 2010

A real beginning

Oh man. I got bored reading the last post! Lol. It's so fake. I realized this while writing in my DA journal, in which I ALWAYS say what I'm thinking because I don't CARE what others think. It's just me being honest, which is how it SHOULD be. No one wants to read fake blogs. That defeats the entire purpose, ne?

Being a language major is interesting. Words and phrases that I don't like or don't have in English have this tendency to get replaced by words and phrases in other languages that I like better or that I feel express what I really mean better than my own native language can. You'd be surprised how often that happens these days with me haha. Luckily for me, my room mate speaks German better than I do, so she gets it about 60% of the time. At the very least, she gets what it's like.

I'm really tired. Sundays tire me out. It's like... forced relaxation haha. I don't feel guilty about not doing anything cause I'm not supposed to, but still. Doing NOTHING is more exhausting than you would probably think.

I've been having spikes with my IBS lately. Not fun. Today is one of them. I was gonna go to the Fireside (for all you non-Mormons, it's an hour where priest-like people talk at us and tell us all sorts of awesome things) with my other roomie, Kristen, but I REALLY wasn't feeling up to walking all that way. I barely made it to the bathroom (which is maybe 10 steps away?) without falling over. It HURTS. Rawr.

I'm on a German music kick. Sigafus gave me a TON of artists to look up, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I probably will sometime this week. Probably haha. I always have so much to do... it may get pushed back.

So, for those of you that made it this far into this post, please IGNORE the first one. I don't wanna take it down cause I wrote it... I guess it's how I was feeling yesterday, but even so. It's dumb and NOT like me at ALL. I was being WAY too polite and WAAAAAAAAY too ridiculously formal.

I mean, I DID learn stuff from Sigafus, but not much in the way of anything... important. I mean seriously. GRAMMAR MISTAKES. He's a cool guy, but NOT my idea of a good teacher AT ALL. Oh well. Nothing I can do but take advantage of the things he did show me that I liked... which is basically stuff I had previously thought of anyway save one or two little additions to the list.

I think about teaching A LOT. I've been planning lessons since before high school. The subject changed from time to time, but now that it's solidified I'm actually getting somewhere with it haha. I think about what I have to do and who I need to become in order to be a good teacher. People like him... they make me mad. I feel like people should take things more seriously.

Teaching is NOT a cop-out job for people who can't do anything else. It's HARD. And you can't go in to it with a willy-nilly attitude. You can't be bitter and feel like you could have done more with your life, but now you're stuck with these stupid kids who don't know anything. NO!!!! NOT OKAY. Those people should NOT be allowed to be teachers. They anger people like me - people who feel they were MEANT to be teachers, not those who feel like they weren't good enough to do anything else. That implies ANYONE can do it. And guess what. THEY CAN'T.

I see the looks people give me when I say I wanna be a teacher. They look at me like I'm taking the easy way out.

Let's see YOU plan, more than 10 years in advance, how to deal with, teach, and respect/earn that of adolescents who don't give a damn about you unless you're good enough to get AND KEEP their attention every day for hours at a time. And then and ONLY then can you MAYBE get something across to them. Then try getting them to love the subject you're trying to beat them over the head with without them realizing how insanely difficult it is, because if they realize that most of them won't try.

Sound tough?

Then, let's see you do it in two or more languages.

Yeah. That's what I thought.

Sorry. I get fired up about people who tell me teachers aren't really hard workers.

I'm not a glorified f***ing babysitter. And I will NEVER be so. I've done that. I was a nanny for a while and I watched kids all growing up. I KNOW what babysitting is. And I'm telling you now that this is NOT that.

This is the real me. This is my life and my passion. I will fight tooth and nail to be the best teacher I can be. I've been told my entire life I can do whatever I want to. I was going to be a forensic scientist. Then a doctor. But not any more. I've chosen a better path, I think. At least for me.

I'm gonna get off my soap box now, but before I go I wanna leave one little thought with you all.

We wouldn't HAVE forensic scientists... doctors... the UNITED NATIONS with their hundreds of TRANSLATORS if people like me didn't teach them how to do what they do and get them interested in the subject in the first place.

Still think teaching is easy?

I love my life. =3

No comments:

Post a Comment