Monday, September 27, 2010

Obama's Idea of Better

This makes me very angry.

I don't understand why it's so hard to listen to people who actually know what they're talking about. Hiring new math and science teachers and pushing "test scores" harder isn't going to fix the problems that public school systems have. Simply admitting there's a problem won't fix it either.

I keep hoping things will get better, but it just seems like they're getting worse. And it doesn't seem like we (as present and future teachers) can do anything about it. We can't make them understand what real, good teaching requires.

Teaching new teaching methods is all well and good, but if the students don't care, it hardly matters. I wish they would stop blaming teachers for the number of drop-outs. The best teachers in the world can't MAKE students want to learn.

Students will still get pregnant, need jobs to support families, run away, or any other manner of things. Did you know suicide counts as dropping out? How messed up is that?

This country has no idea what it's doing. And I admit, I'm still a student. But it doesn't take an idiot to see that it's not going well and things need to change. I'm not an idiot, so I think it's safe to say this "reform" is a joke.

If you want good results, talk to the people who know the field. Don't just make something up and throw in some big words and the phrase "it's what's best for the children" and think that will pass. It won't.

Rawr.

No comments:

Post a Comment