Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"No Child Left Behind"

In my teaching class, we had a guest lecturer come in and tell us about the "No Child Left Behind" act (NCLB). What a depressing subject! It seems like all it's doing is PREVENTING children from learning, not encouraging them in any way. What happened to "nurturing pedagogy" ??

I really don't want to focus too much on this. The Act is supposed to bring children "up to scratch" by 2013 or 2014. That's right around the time that I'll graduate and have my certification for being a teacher. Frightening though, eh? I'll be unleashed on the poor, unsuspecting world haha.

I don't have much time right now so I may expand on this later.

I was told that, in order to get in to the TELL program and talk about practicum options and things, I need to talk to Stefinee P. She happens to be a friend of mine and my mother's and she also just happens to be my boss. It's really almost freaky how quickly these new puzzle pieces in my life are all coming together. It almost seems like I really AM meant to be as crazy as I am. I'm just glad the faculty here seems to be in favor of my idea haha. My friends and brother all think I'm crazy though. Which I am, but still. It seems like I should have more support than what I've got, but I'll work with it.

I have so much to do and so little time, it seems. But that's the case for everyone, then, isn't it?

I've been trying hard to get stronger in my faith. I pray every morning for as long as I can. I feel closer to my God that way and I try to keep Him in my heart and mind throughout the day. I'm not so great about scripture reading. I'm doing it, but not as often, not as long, and definitely not as thoroughly as I should be. I feel guilty about it, but at least I'm trying right? The more religious I'm being - the more obedient - the happier I seem to be. So it can't be anything but a good thing, right? I hope so. I'm trying hard either way, so I can't see that as being disadvantageous in any way. (What a fantastic word... disadvantageous. It's fun to write and say haha. Spelling it is kinda hard though)

Anyway break is over and I have to go back to class. I'll try to gather my thoughts better next time.

Tchau! (Portuguese spelling of "ciao.")

No comments:

Post a Comment